The Noticer

We notice what other news sites don’t

Australia - News

1 in 3 immigrants fail the Australian values citizenship test – but are allowed to stay anyway

More than 100,000 immigrants failed the short multiple choice Australian citizenship test over a 14-month period.

Just 65% of the 288,603 would-be citizens who applied between June 2022 and August 2023 passed, with the remaining 35% allowed to stay in the country and reapply three more times, The Australian reported.

The test is comprised of 20 questions, including five on Australian values which must be answered correctly to pass. The pass rate has fallen from 80% under the previous government, and was at 87% before the values component was added.

Practice test questions on the Home Affairs website include ” Should people in Australia make an effort to learn English?” and “In Australia, can you encourage violence against a person or group of people if you have been insulted?”

Immigration Minister Andrew Giles, who has seen the number of temporary migrants blow out to 2.2 million in 2023 from 700,000 in 2000, responded to the fail rate revelations by saying the Labor government “will continue to assess the citizenship test to ensure that it meets community expectations.”

Opposition immigration spokesman Dan Tehan accused the Albanese government of “rubberstamping visas” and not showing enough support for Australian values.

“They have neglected to teach new citizens what it means to be Australian,” he said.

“Labor are not investing in Australian values and Australian citizenship and this is the result, councils rejecting citizenship ¬≠ceremonies on Australia Day and falling pass rates for the citizenship test.”

He also called on Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to show support for Australia Day, after last month criticising government inaction when more than 80 councils cancelled January 26 citizenship ceremonies.

Stock image (DIAC images CC BY 2.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)

Related Articles

cropped-Noticer-Site-Logo-fotor-bg-remover-20240101144252.png

The Noticer

Factual news, honest opinion

For submissions and tips: 

editor@noticer.news

- The Editors

Popular Opinion
SUPPORT US

Advertise with us

If you like what we do, please consider donating using the button below so we can grow and improve our journalism. 

We are not part of the corporate media and have no billionaire backers, but with your support we can cover the stories they minimise or ignore.

Media Shame File

Buy Anglophobia using our Amazon affiliate link above to support the British Australian Community and The Noticer

ANALYSIS
SCIENCE
LATEST NEWS
Explore